Saturday 28 March 2020

... about self-distancing, going stir crazy and still trying to be responsible

Since the beginning of the current millenium we've sadly become used to disasters. 9/11, 7/7, random "so-called" ISIS attacks, Trump the egregious, Syrian children isolated from their parents but this ... this "Act of God" (said she, a born atheist) has knocked us for six.

We've been conditioned to "active" disasters and, whilst, COVID19 is indeed a disaster it's woefully without action. Yes ... the simple action of action is proving just a tad too hard for most of us ... even those of us who maintain a 6 foot distance to others whilst taking our daily exercise or walking our dogs or trawling around a supermarket whose shelves are ever more empty. It's dull. It's depressing and it proves that this particular disaster has more symptoms than mere COVID19. I have a feeling that life will change beyond all recognition when COVID19 becomes a thing of the past. Perhaps we'll have learnt a few lessons ... that "being nice and kind" can both operate at a distance of 6 feet and that neighbourly and community acts can still continue.

Of course, there are always going to be people (mainly youth, I fear) who consider themselves invincible regardless of all the instructions (which SO many people find difficult to understand but which are actually quite simple. STAY INSIDE, ONLY GO OUTSIDE IF IT'S FOR ESSENTIALS, EXERCISE, WALKING THE DOGS and, even, SKIPPING IN THE GARDEN. What exactly is hard to understand about any of those? There is no room at this time for anything party political. There should be an agreement in politics that any member of any party should be operating on cross-party lines in order to maintain safety during this dull and difficult time. Political point scoring should be at level zero.

To return to the theme that humans have become used to "active disasters": 9/11, 7/7, "so-called" ISIS attacks, too many random racist attacks, Syrian children isolated from their parents. Sorry ... but COVID19 has none of those things to watch, re-watch, analyse or bother with right now. An "Act of God" tops them all without any frisson of excitement whatsoever. No. The challenge not only includes trying to avoid the bloody virus but also attempts (successful and unsuccessful) at maintaining our sanity.

How's your household doing? We've discovered that the less activity there is the more tired we feel. Until bedtime ... when after days of comparative inactivity, sleep is ever more difficult for this particular insomniac.

I thought our big dog was the sensible one. She is ... but she's also daft enough to lie by my bed, fast asleep and soundless. The educationally challenged smaller dog opted to sleep in son's room. Son, currently, displays no virus symptoms whatsoever. I, however (although having a near-constant cough, no sense of either smell or taste, pains in my chest and everything else just plain hurts ... I'm neither a frontliner not a Royal and I haven't had a test but I'm not (completely) stupid and I reckon I virus-ridden. I cannot sleep without a snoring Bugly Boo on my bed. Mindfulness came into play. I went downstairs to avail myself of yet another tasteless cup of tea and, on my return, The Bugly Boo picked up on my brand of being mindful and putting half-working brain and odd-shaped limbs firmly on my bed is now snoring away in a most comforting fashion.

I am trying to take comfort that the world order may change after COVID19 expires. I like to be an optimist (although I'm a natural pessimist). How long will the neighbourhood/community spirit last after the virus has ended? It would be good to think that it will continue. I have my doubts.

I usually maintain a (fairly) friendly demeanour on Facebook and save Twitter for snarking at political types. But, in the past three days, I've gone retro to the tune of 25 years ago ... when I didn't have an iPhone, an iPad, a laptop or a computer. I haven't even watched TV and most of my friends know that I am the walking, talking embodiment of The Radio Times. I have neither had the inclination nor the energy to offer my nonsense to any one who'll read it. Manage without it ... there are plenty of other people who will fill your timelines up without me joining in. Except it's 6.03am and it's been nearly three years since last I blogged. Forvive me if you find it boring - but, for me, it represents a return to writing which I thought I'd long since forgotten how to do.

Who knows, in another 3 years I may write something else. But please don't wait with baited breath.




No comments:

Post a Comment